K2's Accessing and Cleaning Your Data using Excel, Power Query, and Power BI (2hours)
Of course, you can use a wide range of tools and techniques to analyze financial and operational data. However, before you can use any of these, you must first retrieve, scrub, and organize your data. In this session, you will learn about various Microsoft tools you can use to access and prepare your data. Some of these tools – Power Query, for example – reside in Excel, while some such as Power BI lie outside Excel. More specifically, you will learn how to work with the Power Query feature and various content packs in Power BI. With these tools, you will be able to connect, retrieve, reorganize, and work with data from a variety of sources. Participate in this session and learn to use these tools to solve and automate your data extraction and transformation processes.
Upon completing this session, you should be able to:
- Define the major components included in Microsoft Power Query and Power BI Content Packs;
- Identify how Power Query fits into the Microsoft self-service Business Intelligence ecosystem (Power Query, Power Map, Power Pivot, Power View, and Power BI);
- List the types of data sources which can be accessed using Power Query, Power Pivot, and Power BI Content Packs;
- Identify various Power Query transformations that can be used to reformat, combine, and rearrange data retrieved from a wide range of sources; and
- Create queries using Microsoft Power BI Content Packs as the basis for building effective reports.
CPE Credits: Recommended for 2 Hours of Computer Software and Applications
Instructional Delivery Method: QAS On-demand learning, including review and final exam questions. To earn credit, participants must pass the final exam with a score of 70% or better within one year of registering for this course. Participants may attempt take the final exam up to 10 times.
Prerequisites: Fundamental knowledge of computer operations and Microsoft Office Excel
Program Level: Intermediate
Advance Preparation: None
Designed For: Accountants and business professionals seeking to utilize Excel – including Excel Power Query feature – and Microsoft Power BI as tools for accessing data from external data sources and then using that data to build effective reports. This program focuses on techniques found in Microsoft Office Excel 2013 and newer designed for the Windows operating system .